Like most social issues the answers are complex and require multiple approaches. At Connexions, we see many everyday things keeping women trapped at the bottom of economic and social development.
- Families choose to give sons extra or more nutritious food and girls miss out.
- Boys are encouraged to go further in education and more resources are provided for them.
- Many girls are married early (under 18 years old)
- Women and girls are severely restricted in regards to work opportunities and paid poorly.
- Women frequently have little say in how their hard-earned wages are spent.
- Women are frequently not allowed to work outside of the home.
At ConneXions we work hard to provide as many women as possible with opportunities for economic empowerment. We encourage and support them. We understand their situations and are willing to work within the constraints that have been placed on them.
We talk about empowerment and have assisted many women to access education, skills training, vocational pathways and microfinance loans. We try to create a supportive hope-filled community.